ENVE 3.4 SES Clincher Wheelset - Chris King R45 Hubs
New Braking Surface
The new textured braking surface is on all rim brake ENVE rims for 2017. The textured surface is designed to improve braking and reduce heat, a problem particularly important to address with clinchers, and to improve wet weather performance especially.
When discussing the Smart ENVE System 3.4 with riders who have just pedaled them for the first time, the words frequently used to describe the experience are, “versatile, stable, smooth, snappy, solid, and fast”.
The new Smart ENVE System 3.4s just got better and are now available in a clincher model. The 3.4s are specifically designed as a multi-purpose wheelset that can be used in virtually all weather conditions, terrains and disciplines. The 3.4s, being shallower, offer maximum performance characteristics for professional and novice riders alike in mountainous terrain, or when the wind conditions are too strong for the 6.7s or 8.9s. The 3.4 wheel system is capable of producing very low drag numbers similar to other company’s 50-60mm deep wheels, while creating a higher stability index given its shallower depth. The front rim is 26mm wide and 35mm deep while the rear is 24mm wide and 45mm deep.
The Evloution of Speed. Introducing the Smart ENVE System
The recipe for a fast wheel is no one single element; rather, it’s a combination of factors. When you start with in-frame development and blend proven aerodynamics, optimized stability, lightweight, stiffness and durability, the result is a revolutionary wheel design. Introducing the Smart ENVE System.
The Smart ENVE System optimizes the interface between the frame surfaces and the wheels, creating an integrated system. The front and rear wheels interact differently with the air and the rest of the bicycle. Rim shapes are optimized to allow airflow to stay attached at higher yaw angles, thus reducing drag and improving ride performance.
- The front wheel is wider and shallower to improve stability and reduce drag in any wind condition.
- The rear wheel is deeper to reduce drag where stability is less affected.
- Wheels were tested on multiple frame designs in order to produce the maximum drag reduction. The result is a wheel system, which handles predictably, and displays superior drag results when installed in multiple bicycle frame designs.
Steering feedback in variable conditions needs to be predictable to have total handling confidence. Less predictable wheels have a non-linear steering response, resulting in erratic and unpredictable handling in unsteady conditions. The shape of the Smart ENVE System rim is optimized to ensure even and predictable airflow attachment. What the rider experiences is a balanced build up of side force as the angle of crosswind changes. This allows the rider to accurately predict the handling mannerisms of the wheel and avoid dangerous over correction cycles.
- The focus on steering stability resulted in improved handling and confidence in varying crosswinds.
- Therefore, the wheel shape was optimized to produce a predictable and linear response.
- The target stability gradient was 1.0.
Strong, Stiff, Light - The ENVE Process
ENVE is renowned for developing the strongest, stiffest and lightest rims on the market. This durability is proven across all disciplines of the sport including being the first and only carbon wheel to podium at World Cup DH events. All ENVE products, including the Smart ENVE System, share this advanced manufacturing technology. These technologies involve:
- Highest strength to weight ratio in the industry.
- Proprietary molded in spoke hole technology.
- Textured braking surface allowing for a more positive engagement and better braking in wet condition
- Molded spoke hole technology allows for higher spoke tension and more durable wheel builds.
- Textured braking surface for optimal braking power and modulation in both wet and dry conditions
- Best strength and stiffness to weight in class
- Chris King R45 Hubs Front & Rear
- Depth - Front - 35mm, Rear - 45mm
- Hole Count - 20/24
- Wheelset Weight - 1320g
- Sold as a Pair
- Brake Pads included
- 5 Year Warranty
These wheels are custom built to order and take 1-2 weeks for delivery. We are open to a deal on tyres, cassette or anything else you might need to make these dream wheels happen.